Before you come to Sudbury

1. What is the application process to immigrating to Canada?

2. If I want to immigrate to Canada, what are the different ways to apply as an immigrant?

3. What forms do I need to fill out to apply for immigration?

4. What are the costs of the different immigration applications?

5. How long will it take to process my application?

6. What is the application process for Canadian Citizenship?

Living in Sudbury

1. What is a permanent resident card?

2. What is an Ontario Health Card and why do I need to apply for one? Where can I apply for an Ontario Health Card?

3. What is the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)? What services are covered by OHIP?

4. How do I get an Ontario Driver's Licence?

The Sudbury Multicultural and Folk Arts Association (SMFAA) will translate driver's licences from other countries for a fee. Please visit the SMFAA for more information.

 5. What kind of information do I need to know before I move to Sudbury?

This website has the information you need about living, working, doing business, and receiving an education in the City of Greater Sudbury.

6. Who can help me get settled in the community?

Please refer to the Community Resource Directory for the appropriate agency for your needs. There are several agencies operating in Sudbury that offer various services based upon language requirements and other criteria. A list is being compiled of all funded agencies with a mandate to assist newcomers to our city. This will be provided shortly and act as a quick reference guide only. More detailed information can be found in the Directory.

7. Where can I improve my English skills?

The Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada Program offers free English language classes for permanent residents, landed immigrants, and refugees who are 18 years or older.

8. What is the weather like?

Sudbury experiences dry, hot and humid summers while the winters are wet and cold with average temperatures of -30C or -22F. Newcomers should be prepared to wear hats, scarves, gloves, and a warm winter coat during winter months. More information can be found in Living in Greater Sudbury section.

9. What can I do for fun?

The City of Greater Sudbury has many festivals, events, sport programs, and outdoor activities. Please visit our Sports and Leisure page for more information.  Visit to find out what events are happening in the City of Greater Sudbury.

 10. What do I do if I need medical care?

Sudbury has services to help you find a doctor. You can also visit a walk-in clinic if you don't have a regular doctor or if you need after hours medical attention. As a permanent resident of Sudbury, you are eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). OHIP is a publicly funded program that covers basic health care services. For information on finding a doctor and applying for OHIP, please visit the Health Section for more information.

 11. What are my housing options?

The City of Greater Sudbury offers a wide range of housing options to its residents. Choosing whether to buy a home or rent an apartment or condominium depends on how long you plan on staying in the City of Greater Sudbury as well as your financial and family situation. The Greater Sudbury Housing Corporation is responsible for community housing, which is also called subsidized or rent-geared-to-income housing, as well as assisting individuals to receive affordable housing. You qualify for subsidy based on your income. For more information, please visit the Living Arrangements page.

12. How do I get in, out, and around the City of Greater Sudbury?

Travelling to and from the City of Greater Sudbury can be done either by air, land, or rail. Please visit our Transportation section for more information.

13. What community services are available?

The Community Resource Directory contains information relating to the broad range of community, social, health, and government services available in the Greater Sudbury and Manitoulin Districts.

Working in Sudbury

1. What is a Social Insurance Number and why do I need one?

2. What credentials and/or documents do I need in order to work in Canada?

3. Where can I learn more about finding a job in the City of Greater Sudbury?

Doing Business in Sudbury

1. Where can I find information about starting a business in the City of Greater Sudbury?

Owning and operating your own business can be a rewarding and profitable experience. Plenty of businesses have started, grown, and thrived in Greater Sudbury. Please visit our Business Resources page to find a list of the available business resources to help you start your own business.

Education in Sudbury

1. What should I do if I want to study at a University or College in Ontario?

2. Are international students eligible for loans and bursaries?

3. How do I get more information about education?

Sudbury is home to two Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology, a University, and a Medical School. Study in Greater Sudbury and get the real-world training you need to build a career or enhance it. Please visit our Education section for more information.

4. What children's programs and activities are available?

The City of Greater Sudbury has a series of Best Start Hubs which offer children and their families a place to meet, to learn, and grow together. The hubs are located throughout the City and offer free programs, play groups, parent workshops, family activities, as well as information on healthy development.